Top Quick Links

  ► What is the APGO?
 ► Who Needs to Register?
 ► How to Register
 ► Registered Members &
      Certificate of Authorization Lists

 ► Professional Geoscientists Act
 ► Regulations
 ► APGO By-Laws
 ► APGO Policies
 ► Complaints and Discipline Process
 ► Publications
    - Annual Reports
    - Press Releases
    - Newsletters
    - OFC Report
    - Salary Survey

 ► Event Calendar
 ► Job Postings
 ► Resume Listing
 ► Member Services
 ► Privacy Policy
 ► Geoscience Kid Zone
 ► Contact APGO
 ► Links
Who Needs to Register
Ontario’s legislation under the Professional Geoscientists Act, 2000 (the Act), requires registration with the APGO of anyone wishing to practise geoscience in Ontario, or already practising geoscience and using the professional designation of the profession (P.Geo., P.Geol., P. Geoph., G.P., or géo.), or otherwise representing themselves to the public as a professional geoscientist in Ontario.

Professional geoscience is defined as any activity that requires the knowledge, understanding and application of the principles of geoscience and that concerns safeguarding the welfare of the public, including the life, health, and property of individuals and of the natural environment. To learn more about professional geoscience and how registration applies to you, please refer to the pamphlet: Interpretation, Explanation and Selected Examples of “Professional Geoscience” as Defined in the Professional Geoscientists Act, 2000.

Do I Need to Become a Member and Register as a Professional Geoscientist?

In order to practise geoscience in Ontario, an individual must be registered in Ontario. Examples of job titles for which you need to become a registered professional geoscientist in Ontario include: Geoscientist, Geologist, Geophysicist, Geochemist, Geomorphologist, Earth Scientist, Hydrogeologist, Environmental Geologist, Environmental Geoscientist, and either Vice President, Director, or Manager of Exploration. The use of these job titles and any other job titles not listed, that suggest to the public that an individual is trained in the geosciences and is a professional geoscientist is illegal unless that individual is registered with APGO.

Licensed in another province/territory?

If you are a licensed P.Geo., P.Geol., P.Geoph., G.P, or géo., member in good standing in another association/ordre in Canada, your application for APGO licensure is governed by either the Inter-Association Mobility Agreement (IAMA), or the Quebec-Ontario Inter Association Mobility Agreement (OGQ-APGO Mobility Agreement). As such you are not required to solicit or provide references to support your application, or provide transcripts or a work experience record. Note: Under certain circumstances, however, APGO may request these documents from the home jurisdiction or from the applicant. For more information on how to apply for registration under the OGQ-APGO Mobility Agreement click here, and for more information on how to register under IAMA, click here.

How Do I Apply?

To obtain more information about how to register, click here.

25 Adelaide Street East, Suite 1100, Toronto, Ontario M5C 3A1
Phone: 416-203-APGO (2746) • Toll Free: 1-877-557-APGO (2746) • Email: